Dr. Ashok Seth is currently Chairman of Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, New Delhi and Head, Cardiology Council of Fortis Group of Hospitals. He has contributed extensively to the growth of Cardiology especially Interventional Cardiology in India and across the world. Over the past 26-years he has pioneered numerous angioplasty techniques for India and Asia Pacific region like Directional Atherectomy, Angioscopy, Stents, Thrombectomy devices & Drug Eluting Stents, use of Impella heart support device failing heart, Bioabsorbable Stents and TAVI. He has been a part of the focused Advisory Group and seminal studies for development and clinical applicability of Bioresorbable Scaffold (BRS) Stent, which is very well recognized internationally. For his unique achievements & contributions he was honoured by the National award of ‘PADMA SHRI’ by the President of India in 2003, the National Award of Republic of Spain “Officer’s Cross Order of Isabella the Catholic” in 2010, ‘Mason Sones Award’ from SCAI (USA) in 2010 and numerous other awards. He is the Past President of the Cardiological Society of India and Vice President of the Asian Pacific Society of Cardiology.
He was elected Board of Trustee of SCAI (USA) for the period 2007-2010 and is presently Member of the SCAI Nominating Committee and Voting Selector of the MSCAI Nominating Committee. He is founder advisory board member / governor / Trustee to APSIC, SAARC Cardiac Society, SCAI (USA), ACC India Advisory Board, Asian Interventional Cardiovascular Therapeutics, India Live, Associate Director, TCT Scientific Sessions. He has been invited to lecture / demonstrate complex angioplasty techniques to more than 400 international courses & meetings across the globe including live transmissions of complex cases from India to the TCT and EuroPCR Meetings. He is on the Editorial Board of JACC – Cardiovascular Interventions, CCI, Euro Intervention, Indian Heart Journal. He has been honoured by Honorary Doctorate from four prestigious Universities in India. He has more than 250 publications to his credit in prestigious Indian and International medical journals, written and edited chapters in 10 text books of Cardiology and Medicine & edited two books in Cardiology. He has trained more than 350 cardiologists from India and abroad in advance techniques of angioplasty.
Qualification & Fellowships
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S.), J N Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University, India, 1978
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians (M.R.C.P.), U.K., 1984
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians (M.R.C.P.), Ireland, 1986
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (F.R.C.P.), Edinburgh, 1995
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (F.R.C.P.), Ireland, 1995
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (F.R.C.P.), London, 1995
- Fellow of the American College of Cardiology (F.A.C.C.), 1995
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (F.E.S.C.), 2013.
- Fellow of the Society of Cardiac Angiography & Intervention (F.S.C.A.I.), U.S.A., 1995
- Fellow of the International Medical Sciences Academy (F.I.M.S.A.), 1998
- Fellow of the Cardiological Society of India (F.C.S.I.), 2011.
- Doctorate of Science (D.Sc) Honoris Causa, Banaras Hindu University, India, 1998
- Doctorate of Science (D.Sc) Honoris Causa, Tirthankar Mahavir University, Moadabad, India, 2012.
- Doctor of Letters (D.Litt.) Honoris Causa, Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi, India, 2012.
- Doctor of Science (D.Sc) Honoris Causa, Amity University, Noida (U.P.), India, 2012.
- Dr. Seth was the first cardiologist in Asia Pacific region to perform Directional Atherectomy, Angioscopy, Stents, Thrombectomy devices & Drug Eluting Stents and use of Impella heart support device failing heart. He has performed one of the highest numbers of angiographies and angioplasties in the world – which is acknowledged by the ‘LIMCA ‘Book of Records.
- Dr. Seth was also instrumental in the core team which created the Escorts Heart Institute, New Delhi from its first day when he became the Head of Invasive and Interventional Cardiology on his return from England on 3rd October 1988. He was one of the key pillars to make it into one of the most famous landmark institutes in the World. He left the Escorts Heart Institute in Dec’04 to create a new standard in cardiac care in Max Heart & Vascular Institute.
- Dr. Seth has the unique honour to be invited to demonstrate and teach complex angioplasty techniques via the satellite transmission from New Delhi to the ‘Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics in 2003 & 2007’ Meeting in Washington DC (USA) and to EuroPCR in Paris in 2006 (from Bangkok) & in 2003 (from Chennai), which are the most important and biggest meetings of Interventional Cardiologists across the World. This is a unique prestige and privilege for India and a first for any Interventional Cardiologists in Asia. He has also done live transmissions of complex angioplasty techniques from India to international meetings in Singapore, Malaysia, Paris, China, Australia, Korea, Sri Lanka etc.
- Dr. Seth has been invited to lecture / demonstrate complex angioplasty techniques to more than 300 international courses & meetings across the globe.
- Dr. Seth has been highly acclaimed internationally for academics and research. He is the
- Associate Editor of International Journal of Cardiology Member, Editorial Board
- Journal American College of Cardiology – Cardiovascular Interventions
- Catheterization and Cardiovascular Intervention
- Euro Intervention.
- These are three of the most important journals of Interventional Cardiology in the World and are an unprecedented honour for an Indian.
- Dr. Seth has had the unique distinction to be elected on the Board of Governors of Society of Cardiac Angiographies and Intervention (USA) – the official professional and regulatory body of interventional cardiologists in USA which has a global influence. This is a first for any cardiologist from Asia.
- He has been invited to be a member of expert committee of “Society of Cardiovascular Angiography & Interventions (USA)” for its international position statement on “Percutaneous Coronary Interventions Without On-Site Surgical Backup” and is a co-author of this ‘Guidelines’ which have been supported by 15 Interventional Cardiology Societies across the World.
- Dr Seth is a Member of Expert Committee – Central Drugs Standard Control Organization, Directorate General of Health Services, to examine issues relating to regulatory requirements for exercising control over medical devices (October 2009 onwards).
- Dr. Seth is the Chief Coordinator of CSIR funded NTMLI project to manufacture an indigenous low-cost Drug Eluting Stent in India by year end 2008.
- Dr. Seth is one of the youngest person to be honoured Doctorate of Science (DSc) honouris Causa by Banaras Hindu University in 1998.
- He also was one of the youngest overseas doctors to be awarded the Fellowship of all the three Royal Colleges of London, Edinburgh & Ireland in year 1995.
- He has also been a prolific writer of original scientific papers and has more than 150 publications to his credit in prestigious Indian and International medical journals. He has also written and edited chapters in 10 text books of Cardiology and Medicine.
- Dr. Seth has trained more than 350 cardiologists from India and abroad in advance techniques of angioplasty. The Govt. of Malaysia, Bangladesh, WHO, SAARC Cardiac Society, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia has all sponsored doctors from their country to train under Dr. Seth.
- He has had the unique distinction of organizing the ‘2nd AICT’ (Asian Interventional Cardiovascular Therapeutics) conference in India in October 2006. This was a privilege and pride of Nation. This landmark meeting brought together for the first time in India 200 top most Cardiologists of the world and more than 1000 delegates from 27 countries. The President of India, Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam gave the inaugural address to the cardiologists and it was acclaimed and lauded internationally.