Dr. Naresh Trehan, a graduate from King George Medical College, is a renowned Cardiovascular and Cardiothoracic surgeon, trained and practiced at New York University Medical Centre Manhattan USA. He is also recognized by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
Dr Naresh Trehan is the Chairman & Managing Director, Medanta – The Medicity, a 1500 bedded multi super speciality institute, which offers cutting edge technology and state of art treatment facilities at an affordable cost. The Institute is governed under the guiding principles of providing medical services to patients with care, compassion and commitment. Before living his dream, Dr. Trehan was the executive director and founder of the Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre, the centre was conceptualized, created and managed by Dr. Trehan (from 1987 to May 2007). He has received many prestigious awards, including the Padma Shree and the Padma Bhushan Award, presented by the Government of India. He was the President of the International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery (ISMICS), Minneapolis, USA 2004-05 and has also received Honorary Doctorate Degrees from three prestigious universities.
- M.B.B.S. K.G. Medical College Lucknow, 1968 U.P., India
- Diplomat, American Board of Surgery U.S.A 1977
- Diplomate, American Board of Cardiothoracic Surgery U.S.A. 1979
- CMD Global Health Private Limited (Medicity)
- Senior Consultant Cardiovascular Surgery at Apollo Hospital, Sarita Vihar, New Delhi from June 1, 2007 till Dec 31st 2009.
- Executive Director and Chief Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgeon, Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre, Okhla Road, New Delhi, from 1988 – 2007
- Appointed as Personal Surgeon to the President of India with effect from June, 1991.
- Appointed as Honorary Consultant to the Cromwell Hospital, London U.K., with effect from March, 1994.
- Appointed as Honorary Visiting Professor, Cardiovascular Surgery, LPS Institute of Cardiology, Kanpur (U.P.) with effect from June, 1996.
- Appointed as Honorary Consultant, Cardiothoracic Surgery, to the Armed Forces Medical Services, with effect from March, 1997.
- Appointed as Honorary Visiting Professor of Surgery, Bangladesh Medical College, Dhaka with effect from April, 2000.
Past Academic Appointments
- Asstt. Professor of Surgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, USA, 1981-1988
- Clinical Instructor in Surgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, USA, 1971-1974
- Teaching Assistant in Surgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, USA, 1971-1974
Past Staff Appointments
- Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon, New York University Medical Center, New York, U.S.A., 1979-1988
- Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon and Consultant, Bellevue Hospital of the city of New York, U.S.A.
- Chief Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Veterans Administration Hospital (Manhattan), U.S.A.
- Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon, New York Infirmary-Beekman Downtown Hospital, New York, U.S.A., 1979-1988
- Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon, St. Vincent’s Hospital and Medical Center, New York, U.S.A., 1979-1988
Membership Of Professional Societies And Editorial Advisory Boards
- President of the International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery (ISMICS), Minneapolis, USA. 2004-05
- Member of Society of Thoracic Surgeons of U.S.A.
- Member of the Scientific Council of the American College of Angiology, U.S.A.
- Fellow Royal Society of Medicine, London.
- Fellow American College of Surgeons, USA.
- Fellow International Medical Sciences Academy.
- Member of Board of Directors of the International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, Minneapolis, USA.
- Appointed as member of the Editorial Board of the Journal “Heart Surgery Forum”, Charlottesville, VA, USA.
- Council Member of Association of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeons of Asia.
- Member of The European Association for Cardio-thoracic Surgery.
Association With National Bodies And Committees
- Chairman, Confederation of Indian Industries – Healthcare Industry Committee.
- President, Indian Health Care Federation.
- Member, Key Advisory Group, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India.
- Vice Chairman, Services Export Promotion Council, Govt. of India.
- Member, Task Force on Skill Development, XIth Five Year Plan, Planning Commission, Govt. of India.
- Member, Governing Council TIFAC (Technology Information, Forecasting & Assessment Council), New Delhi
- Member, Institute Body of Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow from 1996-2001.
- Member, Governing Council of Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology, Bangalore, India.
- India International Gold Award, 1995
- Rajiv Gandhi National Unity Award, 1995
- Rotary Ratna Award,1996
- Life Time Achievement Award – 2002 by the International Society of Cardiovascular Ultrasound.
- PADMA BHUSHAN AWARD by President of India in recognition of distinguished service in the field of Medicine in 2001
- PADMASHRI AWARD by President of India in recognition of distinguished service in the field of Surgery in 1991.
- Honorary Fellow Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Australia, 2002
- Jewel of India in the Millennium, 2002
- Dr. B. C. Roy National Award for the year 2005 in the category of “Eminent Medical Person”.
- AMA Physician’s Recognition Award by The CME Alliance at ISMICS-2001, Munich, Germany.
- Life Time Achievement Award -1999 from International Medical Integration Council in recognition of the pioneering work done in developing new surgical techniques.