Cervical discs that are associated with the spine are placed in the area of neck. This portion is made up of 7 cervical discs and these discs attach the upper port of the spine with the skull. From the cervical spine, there are eight sets nerve roots called spinal nerve roots do serve the arms, upper parts of the shoulders, neck and head. These nerve roots extend right from the cervical spine. When these nerves are compromised or pinched, at the area of neck, it results in weakness and pain in the arms and hands. So, the movement of the same would be limited.
Candidates for Procedure
- Candidates, who have severe lower arm pain, shoulder pain and neck pain, because of the pinched nerves present in the neck
- Candidates with bulging discs
- When the trauma results in the damage of bones
- Also optimal for the candidates, who feel radiated pain traversing to the lower part of the arms, hands and fingers
- Optimal for candidates, who experience limited mobility and limited range of motion becaue of the nerves compression present in the spine’s cervical area
- Cervical microforaminotomy is necessary to perform the removal of the fragments and portions of the bones or small fragments related to herniated discs or sometimes from the diseased discs, present in the neck areas. It reduces the neck pain as well as the associated arm and shoulder pains.
Cervical Microforaminotomy procedure in India has many advantage due to availability of highly skilled neuro-spine surgeons and world class most advanced technology and special care for International Patients visiting India for Cervical Microforaminotomy procedure at highly affordable rates.
Types of Microforaminotomy
There are two types of microforaminotomy, called
- Posterior Cervical Microforaminotomy
- Anterior Cervical Microforaminotomy
Selection of either procedure is determined by the surgeon, based on safety and effectiveness.
Posterior Cervical Microforaminotomy Procedure
This surgical procedure is performed at the back part of the neck. So, the patient is faced down over the table for operation. An incision is to be made over the back portion of the neck. It then exposes the bumps or bony roof, towards the same direction of the spine, present in the neck area. Small surgical instruments are then moved inside the incision to move the soft tissues and bones gently to its sides. Then the herniated disc space or pinched nerve is exposed.
The bone portions are scraped gently along the vertebrae at the location of the pinched nerve. Shave or scrap is also done at the upper and lower portions of the compressed nerve root. After the shaving process, the movement, freedom and function of the nerve are verified, by inserting other smaller instruments inside the incision. If the same portion of the affected disc continues to swell or bulge against the root of the nerve, the herniated or bulging portion of the disc is then removed. The surgeon waits for some time to watch and ensure that the nerve root is back to its normal position. After it comes to the normal position, the incision will then be closed.
Anterior Cervical Microforaminotomy Procedure
Anterior cervical microforaminotomy procedure is quite similar to the posterior cervical microforaminotomy procedure, with the difference that the access of the spinal column present near the neck area is done through the front part of the neck. In this procedure, the patient has to be placed on the back on the operating table.
After the Surgery
The following guidelines are to be known and followed by the candidate, as the post-operative care guidelines.
- Needs to take plenty of rest
- Medications and antibiotics are to be taken to get relived from inflammation and pain, as prescribed by the surgeon
- Avoid straining activities
- Avoid neck bending activities
- Driving should not be initiated at least for 2 weeks period, especially, while taking the medicine to be relieved from pain
- Braces like soft cervical collar must be used to relieve the neck from the stress
- Rehabilitation to be started as recommended by the surgeon
- Can return to normal and regular activities, only after the normal function and strength are regained
Cost of Cervical Microforaminotomy
The above Package Cost is a tentative Approximate Package Estimate, which includes initial investigations & specialists screening, stay in a Private Room wherein patient’s assistant or relative can also stay with patient, doctor / surgeon fee, nursing care, medicines & consumables, Airport Pick-Up & Drop.
In order to access, exact estimate of treatment package cost, do email us at email@example.com all your medical reports.
On receiving your medical reports, we will revert to you within 24 Hours with right estimate package after getting your medical reports examined by best team of doctors at best hospitals in India. We will also assist you in traveling part, which includes, airfare booking, medical visa invitation, airport pick-up and drop, hotel stay & visit for any sightseeing. With our 10 years of expertise in delivering highly caring International Patients Assistance Services, you can completely rely on us in every step of your recovery. Our all International Patient Assistance Services are absolutely FREE!!! as World Health Expert India (WHXI) is an official associate of India’s Best Hospitals & Specialists.