Advanced imaging technique is now in use that enables neurosurgeons with MRI during operation to assist in the removal of the complex and difficult to access brain tumors. This entire new technique depends upon the powerful computer system that assist surgeons in positioning of tumor precisely, in designing each step of the procedure on the computer screen, and in calculation of the ideal approach towards the tumor prior to the surgery. This is highly apt in accessing deep located tumors inside the brain, those areas that are difficult to be reached traditionally. During this procedure, the computer trails the movement of the instrument with great precision, allowing the surgeon to take absolute control inside the brain the entire time by using “real-time” imaging. As planned, the surgeon can also actually check whether the tumor has been removed or not. The prospect of the patient also improves by this. At our associated top hospitals, the expert surgeons has treated hundreds of patients with MRI Guided Brain Tumor Surgery in India.
These days, fully-functional image-guidance for patients undergoing stereotactic radiosurgery is also being used. It is the most developed Neuro- Surgical Operating Room with high field MR. this setup allows the neurosurgeons to have a thorough MRI study on the patient during the surgery, and if the tumor has remained back and is hidden from the human eyes, it can be identified by special MRI continuous series, and thus, can be targeted with the use of neuro-navigation, similar to GPS.
The Brain Suite has two major parts; a high intensity MRI scanner unified with an image-guided surgical setup. The MRI scanner has a wide cylindrical opening to allow patients to lie on their sides. This special MRI setup allows doctors to conduct repetitive scans during the surgery for more accuracy of information about the shape, location, and size of the tumor, thus, minimizing the problems associated with shifting of the brain tumors during excision.
Key Improvements in Brain Suite Intra-Operative MRI Surgery Suite:
- The concept of two-room enables the surgeons to scan one day before and do an in-depth planning because this is done in the adjoining but separate room which was different from the earlier machines wherein the patients were asked to move out of the OT thus, disturbing the sterility
- Advanced MR scanner facilitating high-resolution images within les than 5 minutes thus, saving time along with reduction in infection.
- Capability of performing thorough MRI sequences
- Digital presentation of tumor and nerve fiber trails on a microscopic view
- Advanced Pentero microscope with illuminating the tumor
Multi-disciplinary treatment forms used for treatment of brain tumors in India
- Brain Suite- Intra-operative MR navigation microsurgery
- Endoscopic Minimal Invasive Neurosurgery
- Trans-Nasal Endoscopic removal of tumor in brain via nose
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery
- Tumor embolization using Neuro-Interventional Radiology
Advantages of advanced technology over conventional neurosurgery for removal of brain tumors
Conventional Neurosurgery for removal of brain tumors:
- The conventional neurosurgical procedure such as the conventional craniotomy depends upon the surgeon’s visualization of the tumor. The surgeon has to devote a lot of time and effort to locate the tumor. In some types of tumors, the surgeons might fail to visualize the tumor completely and the risk of the removal of the normal brain tissue with the tumor prevails which can result in neurological deficit, loss of speech, paralysis, blindness, etc.
- The normal brain tissues can also unnecessarily get damaged which can result to neurological deficit prolonging the hospital stay.
- Although the surgeon might remove some part of the tumor, it is still partial removal of the tumor because of missing of precision and accuracy which also results in occurrence of the tumor or neurological symptoms.
MRI Guided surgery of Brain Tumor, latest technology:
- A proper guidance is provided by real-time MRI with Advanced New generation computer so thus, allowing the surgeon to know the exact location of tumor.
- Advanced ability of neurosurgeon to remove the tumor entirely by excision. The risks involved are also less post operation. Functional MRI image-guidance offers great accuracy, pre-operative non-invasive assessment and proper planning for the surgery of brain tumor.
- MRI guided Brain Tumor Surgery offers complete removal of the tumor with lesser risks to the peripheral brain tissue.
- Remediable tumors can be removed surgically with MRI guided Brain tumor Surgery.