Revision laparoscopic bariatric surgery is usually needed to perform the correction, repair or alteration of the pre existing operation. It is needed to be conducted for the patients, who have already undergone the bariatric surgery, in any form. These procedures are usually conducted laparoscopically. However, in case the initial bariatric surgery had resulted to give extensive scarring, the procedure is usually performed through open surgery. The revision operation might be required when any one of three surgeries, laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, laparoscopic Roux-en-Y or laparoscopic adjustable band surgery is performed before and demand the alteration at later times, when the surgery is found unsuccessful. It is done occasionally.
Indications for Revision Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery
Indications regarding the revision laparoscopic bariatric surgery are the following.
- Inadequate weight loss
- Inadequate weight gain
- Weight regain
- Complications related to the pre existing procedure
Weight gain and weight loss are usual after the laparoscopic bariatric surgery and the consideration should be done, only if the gain or loss of the weight is adequate.
There are other procedure specific complications too, apart from these general indications.
Revision Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery
There are many procedures performed as revision procedures
- A device is placed in the stomach in one of the procedures. The device is silicone prosthetic device, which is inflatable and it is also called as an adjustable gastric band. It is widely used revision procedure used to revise the bariatric surgery for many patients. This surgery is suitable as the revision surgery for Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, gastroplasty surgical procedure or stomach stapling as a bariatric procedure. Most of these revision procedures are performed laparoscopically.
- Roux-ex-Y gastric bypass surgery is also an important revision technique, which is performed for the patients, who were not successfully operated or not successfully gained the weight loss, through the surgical procedures like vertical gastric banding, stomach stapling, laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding or gastroplasty. When it is performed laparoscopically, which is usually done, the results will be excellent. The recovery time for this revision procedure is about two weeks of time. However, the risks associated with the revision surgery are vitamin deficiency, formation of stomach ulcers. So, these results require multivitamins to prevent.
- Sleeve gastronomy is another revision laparoscopical bypass surgery, through which a large part of portion of the stomach is removed and the remaining portion of the stomach will be reshaped in such a way that it becomes sleeve shaped or tube-like. This surgery also sometimes needs the revision surgery, when not successful or when it does not serve the purpose of weight loss.
- Another revision surgical procedure for laparoscopical bariatric surgery is stomaphyX. This revision procedure involves endoscopic revision technique. It is done by tightening the gastric pouch that is stretched, with the help of fasteners or internal sutures. It is usually preferred revision surgery for the patients, who have already have gone through Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery and in addition, they have stomach pouch that is stretched.
Results of Revision Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery
The results of the revision laparoscopic do vary. In case the revision surgery is performed to treat the ongoing complications, the outcomes will be much improved after the surgery. However, if the revision surgery is needed to be performed as a result of inadequate weight gain or loss, the results found and seen would be less dramatic.
Revisional surgery is considered to be a high risk surgical procedure. So, it should be performed usually at the discretion of the qualified and experienced bariatric surgeon, only when it is very much needed.
Cost of Revision Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery
The above Package Cost is a tentative Approximate Package Estimate, which includes initial investigations & specialists screening, stay in a Private Room wherein patient’s assistant or relative can also stay with patient, doctor / surgeon fee, nursing care, medicines & consumables, Airport Pick-Up & Drop.
In order to access, exact estimate of treatment package cost, do email us at email@example.com all your medical reports.
On receiving your medical reports, we will revert to you within 24 Hours with right estimate package after getting your medical reports examined by best team of doctors at best hospitals in India. We will also assist you in traveling part, which includes, airfare booking, medical visa invitation, airport pick-up and drop, hotel stay & visit for any sightseeing. With our 10 years of expertise in delivering highly caring International Patients Assistance Services, you can completely rely on us in every step of your recovery. Our all International Patient Assistance Services are absolutely FREE!!! as World Health Expert India (WHXI) is an official associate of India’s Best Hospitals & Specialists.